Best At-Home Air Quality Monitors
Affiliate Disclaimer: Our Best At-Home Air Quality Monitors recommendations include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission.
Did you know that the air quality in your home, office, and indoor environment plays a major role in affecting your mood, productivity, health, and general well-being?
Specially designed electronic at-home air quality monitors, consistently test and report on pollution levels inside your home. While these devices vary in their mode of operation, they all test for the presence and the concentration of particulate matter, chemical pollutants, and humidity. Some also track temperature, carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, and even formaldehyde levels.
In this article, you’ll learn about the best at-home air quality monitors on the market, how much they cost, and how effective they are at detecting and measuring the levels of common indoor air pollutants.
How Do You Monitor At-Home Air Quality?
The best way to monitor at-home air quality is either by purchasing and installing Best At-Home Air Quality Monitors or by completing indoor air quality tests using the various test kits available in your buildings or structures.
Indoor air quality is the quality of air within and around buildings and structures. It measures the concentration of pollutants present in the air at any given moment or over a period of time.
These tests account for common indoor air pollutants, including dust mites, pollen, mold, bacteria, volatile organic compounds, formaldehyde, lead, radon, carbon emissions, and environmental conditions such as humidity, temperature, and pressure.
A Quick Look at the Best At-Home Air Quality Monitors Money Can Buy.
- Airthings 2930 Wave Plus – smart device that tracks temperature, humidity, allergens, air pressure and more
- Awair Element Indoor Air Quality Monitor – smart device that tracks temperature, humidity and pollutants except radon
- Temptop M10 Air Quality Monitor – effective and affordable for those who want to monitor a small number of pollutants
- EG CO2 Carbon Dioxide Air Quality Monitor – most affordable and reliable CO2 monitor
- EG Air Quality Pollution Monitor – portable monitor that utilizes advanced sensors to give you accurate results
- Air Quality Monitor BIALONG Accurate Tester – most affordable monitor that tests a wide range of indoor pollutants
- My Mold Detective – most accurate mold testing kit on the market
The Airthings 2930 Wave Plus by Airthings AS is the first smart air quality monitor with radon detection. Ever since its release, the Wave Plus has won multiple consumer electronics awards for its innovation and ability to detect and monitor six indoor air components: carbon dioxide, airborne chemical compounds, volatile organic compounds, humidity, temperature, and pressure.
This at-home air quality monitor is battery-powered and can be installed anywhere in the home. It comes with a mobile app to help you monitor pollution in your home and integrates perfectly with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant.
- The Wave Plus is among the few air quality monitors that produce accurate and reliable radon results. Even though radon levels fluctuate daily, air quality testing is conducted over time to minimize irregularities.
- The monitor can measure radon, carbon dioxide, toxins, airborne chemical compounds, pollen, volatile organic compounds, humidity, air pressure, and temperature in real-time.
- It’s easy to install and use. All you need to do is wave in front of the device, and it’ll automatically provide a color-coded reading of your room’s overall air quality (Red means poor, yellow means it’s fair, and Green means it’s Good).
- The device allows for easy smart home integration, designed to work with Alexa, If This Then That (IFTTT), and Google Assistant.
- The Airthings app allows you to access detailed insights on your air quality and is available for both Android and iOS users.
Airthings Wave Plus is available for purchase on Amazon.com for $212.99.
Airthings 2930 Wave Plus might not be the cheapest air quality monitor out there, but it does pack tons of pretty amazing features that make it worth every penny.
The company is on a mission to empower the world to breathe better by making air quality testing and monitoring simple and easy. It’s best installed in offices, schools, and homes to help anyone make safer air quality decisions.
The Awair Element Indoor Air Quality Monitor- AQM8002A might have a pretty cool name, but this device uses cutting-edge air quality testing technology to track temperature, humidity, carbon dioxide, volatile organic compounds, and particulate matter (PM2.5) in your environment.
Unlike the Wave Plus above, Awair Element Indoor Monitor does not detect or measure radon, and it’s not battery-powered. However, it provides you with real-time insight into the air quality of your homes, offices, or buildings, allowing you to transform your space into a clean air oasis.
- Awair Element IAQ Monitor can accurately track temperature, humidity, carbon dioxide levels, volatile organic compounds, and particulate matter (PM2.5) within your buildings and structures.
- It comes with a mobile app that allows you to easily track changes in your air quality and receive feedback and tips on improving your overall air quality.
- The device integrates seamlessly with Alexa and Google Assistant, requiring Bluetooth and Wi-Fi to complete setup.
- The device is smart enough to connect multiple sensors placed in different rooms in the house to connect to one mobile app. That way, you can easily compare how your air quality varies between different rooms and pinpoint pollution sources.
- The Awair map provides you with the neighborhood indoor and outdoor air averages. That way, you can tell if there are major shifts or discrepancies in air nearby air quality allowing you to assess or resolve any impending problems
The Awair Element Indoor Air Quality Monitor is available for purchase on their official website for $299.
If you’re looking to get better sleep, reduce allergy symptoms, or simply protect your health, the Awair Element Indoor Air Quality Monitor can help you take full control of your at-home air quality. This product does not detect radon.
The Temtop M10 Air Quality Monitor is a device that literally helps you to visualize the air around you. This air quality monitor is designed to help you detect and measure particulate matter (PM 2.5), Air Quality Index (AQI), volatile organic compounds, and formaldehyde present in the air.
All this is possible thanks to the sensitive Temtop 3rd generation laser particle sensor and Dart electrochemical sensor. Also, its three-color indicator lights make it easier for you to determine the at-home air quality at a glance.
- The Temtop M10 is a four-in-one multifunction indoor air quality monitoring device that accurately measures particulate matter, AQI, volatile organic compounds, and formaldehyde.
- The device is easy to use and provides a simple and effective three-color light indicator.
- It’s battery powered and can last up to six hours on a full charge.
- The formaldehyde sensor can easily be calibrated for more accurate results by placing the device in a well-ventilated environment for at least six hours prior to its first use.
- It comes with a charging cable, a reset pin, a user manual, and a twelve months warranty, with twenty-four hour access to reliable customer support.
The Temtop M10 Indoor Air Quality Monitor is available on Amazon for $95.99.
The Temtop M10 Air Quality Monitor can easily be everyone’s favorite at-home air quality monitor, especially at its price point. However, it is limited in its testing capability and is more effective for those who only need to monitor a smaller range of airborne pollutants.
As the name suggests, the EG CO2 Carbon Dioxide Air Quality Monitor is a pollution and ventilation meter specifically designed to detect and test the PPM levels of CO2 in the air.
This device can also measure the temperature and humidity of the environment, displaying readings on a clear LED display.
- The EG CO2 air quality meter is designed solely to measure CO2, temperature, and humidity in a room.
- The 320 x 240 resolution LED screen display makes readings clearly legible.
- This device is battery-powered.
The EG CO2 Carbon Dioxide Air Quality Monitor is can be purchased on Amazon for $84.93.
The EG CO2 air quality meter is specific in its purpose and should not be compared to higher end, more expansive air quality monitoring systems. If you are looking for a CO2 monitor that is affordable and reliable, this is definitely for you.
Also from EG, comes this far more complex system. The EG Air Quality Pollution Monitor monitors temperature, humidity, formaldehyde, total volatile organic compounds, and particulate matter in real-time. This precision allows users to determine when it’s time to change their air filters or detect airborne volatile compounds before you present the resulting symptoms. If you are looking for this kind of proactive management, this air quality monitor may be the perfect device for you.
- The EG Air Quality Pollution Monitor is a multifunctional indoor air quality measurement device that accurately monitors humidity, temperature, formaldehyde, particulate matter (PM 2.5), and a wide range of volatile organic compounds.
- This device is portable and easy to use.
- This device uses laser and electrochemical semiconductor sensors as well as advanced fans that can quickly draw air to allow for real-time measurements and improved accuracy.
- It is battery-powered, so users can conduct air quality tests on the go.
- The device features a clear 2.8 inch, 320 x 240 pixel LCD display.
The EG Air Quality Pollution Monitor is available for purchase on Amazon for $104.37.
The EG Air Quality Pollution Monitor is a robust indoor air quality monitor that utilizes advanced sensors to accurately assess your at-home air quality. If you value accuracy and portability in your at-home air quality system, this is the monitor for you.
The Air Quality Monitor BIALONG Accurate Tester is a multifunctional air quality monitor for measuring the levels of carbon dioxide, formaldehyde, and a wide variety of volatile organic compounds in the air.
This device is a handheld, battery-powered detector with an accessible LCD digital display, providing you with an indicator light to alert users as to whether the surrounding air is safe or toxic.
- The BIALONG Air Quality Monitor is a multifunctional device, testing CO2, formaldehyde, volatile organic compounds, and particulate matter.
- It utilizes state-of-the-art DART Electrochemical sensor technology that ensures even the slightest fluctuations in concentration are detected.
- Its lithium battery will power the device for up to twelve hours of continuous use.
- It displays the mean value for the concentration of each gas, displaying the results on the large LCD screen.
- It’s portable, easy to use, and produces accurate results.
The BIALONG Air Quality Monitor is available for purchase on Amazon for $55.99.
Despite being the cheapest monitor on our list, the BIALONG Air Quality Monitor still tests a wide range of indoor air pollutants. Just be sure to close all doors and windows before testing. As long as that isn’t a limitation, the BIALONG Air Quality Monitor may be the best fit for you.
Last but not least on our list is the My Mold Detective MMD103 mold test kit. In our article on how to test at-home air quality, you’ll note that measuring the concentration of mold spores in the air isn’t all that straightforward.
This is where a mold testing kit comes in.
This indoor air quality test kit is a professional-grade DIY mold test kit, allowing you to easily collect air samples from your home, office, or other space and test for the presence of mold spores in the air. The samples are then shipped to a third-party, AIHA accredited laboratory for testing.
Test results are available three days after the arrival of your samples at the laboratory.
- The My Mold Detective mold test kit comes with one sampling pump, four air sample cassettes (three meant for indoor rooms and the last one for outdoor control).
- Sample collection is convenient and efficient, lasting only five minutes.
- Results specify the type of mold present in not only the room and its estimated concentration so you can be sure your environment is safe.
My Mold Detective is available for purchase on Amazon for $74.99.
However, you’ll have to pay an additional analysis fee of $35 per sample at the time of online sample registration.
If you suspect that your home or environment is being overrun by mold, the My Mold detective is among the most accurate mold testing kits on the market. Not only can you know what mold you’re working with, but you can know with certainty whether it poses a threat to your health and safety.
Why Do You Need To Monitor At-Home Air Quality?
If you’ve ever entered a room and immediately noticed a musty smell, suffered skin or eye irritation, a runny nose, congested sinuses, uncontrollable sneezing, or respiratory or cardiovascular effects, you’ve experienced dangerously poor indoor air quality. Monitors can help you do something about it.
These symptoms may not appear immediately, but if this describes your situation, you’ve come to the right place to help you purchase a reliable, effective at-home air quality monitor.
What Is The AQI, And How Does It Work?
The United States Air Quality Index (AQI) is the index for daily air quality reporting developed by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).It factors in all of the common air pollutants and tells you how clean or polluted the air is on a scale from zero to 500.
Basically, the higher the AQI value, the higher the pollution, as well as the threat it poses to our health. The EPA has set an AQI value of 100 as the national standard to protect public health, therefore, locations with AQIs below 100 are satisfactory and their inhabitants should suffer no additional health implications. Locations with AQIs of 100 or higher are considered unhealthy for certain sensitive groups of people. Locations whose AQIs greatly exceed 100 indicates unhealthy conditions for everyone. Below is a representation of the Air Quality Index for Ozone and Particle Pollution.
While there are a wide variety of at-home air quality monitors to choose from, the right device for you depends entirely on your unique situation. Always prioritize your specific concerns as you make your decision. If you suspect you have a problem with radon pollution, choose a monitor sensitive to radon.
If you have any questions or need any help testing your at-home air quality, refer to our informative article.