Affiliate disclaimer: Our recommendations include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission.
If you’ve been focusing on eating healthier and lowering your cholesterol levels, then it’s time to take action.
You see, high cholesterol can lead to a lot of problems over time. It clogs your arteries, increasing your risk of heart disease. And the list goes on!
Cholesterol is necessary for many important functions inside your body. But if your cholesterol is too high, it can increase the risk of heart disease and stroke.
In fact, high cholesterol is the number one risk factor for both conditions.
This article explains everything you need to know about at-home cholesterol test kits so that you can make an informed decision when it comes to buying one.
Can I Test my Cholesterol at Home?
You can do a simple at-home cholesterol test using an easy prick-your-finger method if you want to know whether you have high cholesterol without visiting your doctor’s office.
Cholesterol is a waxy substance that is produced by our liver and stored in our body’s fat cells. It is necessary for the proper functioning of our bodies.
However, high levels of cholesterol in the blood can lead to heart disease, stroke, and even death.
In fact, according to the American Heart Association (AHA), high cholesterol is responsible for a significant amount of all deaths in the United States, causing 365,744 deaths in 2018.
The AHA recommends that people over the age of 20 have their total cholesterol checked annually.
If your doctor finds that you have high cholesterol, he or she may recommend lifestyle changes and medications to lower your cholesterol level.
How can I do an At-home Cholesterol Test?
Each at-home cholesterol test kit may work differently depending on the sample required. In this case, it is blood, which is typically taken via a simple finger prick.
Additionally, you must remember to pay keen attention to expiration dates. There are typically four months after sample collection.
So, ensure you send that sample for testing as soon as you’ve collected it.
Also, there may be food restrictions leading up to taking a cholesterol test; as such, it is essential that you read the directives on the package and website carefully.
There is a basic step that is similar across all types of samples. It includes:
- Register online with any company you are purchasing the test kit to do your home cholesterol test.
- Next, read the instructions and collect the sample for your cholesterol home test.
- Package and ship your sample to the lab address provided.
- Lastly, check for your results either via email or your online account with the company. The results are usually ready in five to seven days after sample submission. If necessary, contact your healthcare provider right away for medical advice.
Here’s what you need to know about each blood sample collection:
- Blood sample- this is usually collected by a finger prick method. You stick the tip of your finger using a tiny needle called a lancet then have the blood runoff into a small collection container. The materials you need are provided by the company. Be sure to clean the area as directed before collecting the sample.
It is imperative that you follow the instructions correctly to facilitate getting an accurate result.
You do not want to get an inaccurate reading based on an incorrect technique.
Commonly Tested Cholesterol Biomarkers
Triglycerides are fats that are stored in the body’s fat cells. They are made up of three fatty acid molecules attached together. These fatty acids are saturated, monounsaturated, and polyunsaturated.
Saturated fats are solid at room temperature and have no double bonds. Monounsaturated fats are liquid at room temperature and have one double bond. Polyunsaturated fats are liquid at normal temperatures and have two or more double bonds.
Cholesterol is a waxy substance that is produced naturally by the body. It is a major component of cellular membranes and helps maintain the integrity of cells. Cholesterol is necessary for proper brain function and nerve transmission. It is also involved in the synthesis of steroid hormones.
Cholesterol is not stored in the body; rather, it is constantly being synthesized and broken down. In fact, the liver produces about 75% of the cholesterol in the human body.
The amount of cholesterol in the blood is regulated by the liver. When the liver senses that the level of cholesterol in the bloodstream is high, it breaks down cholesterol and removes excess amounts from the bloodstream.
HDL (High-Density Lipoprotein)
HDL is a type of lipoprotein that transports cholesterol and triglycerides throughout the body. HDL is produced by the liver and secreted into the bloodstream. In humans, HDL levels tend to decrease with age. Low HDL levels have been linked to cardiovascular disease, diabetes, obesity, and cancer.
HDL is known as the “good” cholesterol because it helps remove excess cholesterol from the bloodstream. High HDL levels may protect against heart disease.
LDL (Low-Density Lipoprotein)
LDL cholesterol is a type of lipoprotein that transports fat throughout the body. LDL cholesterol levels are often measured as part of a blood test called a lipid profile. High levels of LDL cholesterol may increase the risk of heart disease.
High levels of LDL cholesterol have been linked to an increased risk of coronary artery disease. Coronary artery disease occurs when plaque builds up inside arteries, restricting blood flow to the heart muscle.
If left untreated, coronary artery disease can lead to angina pectoris, a chest pain caused by oxygen deprivation in the heart muscle. Angina pectoris can cause shortness of breath, fatigue, nausea, and even fainting.
HDL Percentage of Total Cholesterol
The HDL Percentage of total cholesterol describes the total amount of “good cholesterol” in the body in comparison to the total amount of cholesterol. The goal is to have a high percentage.
- Everlywell–This cholesterol and lipids at-home lab test is similar to a standard lipid panel.
- MyLab Box– This at-home cholesterol test is designed to help you understand your risk for cardiovascular disease.
- LetsGetChecked– This at-home test helps monitor your cholesterol levels for better management.
- Lab.Me– This at-home liver and heart function test looks at your cholesterol, liver, and other lipids.
- ImAware– This at-home cholesterol test kit monitors your cardiovascular health by focusing on a broad range of heart-healthy indicators.
- Verisana– This cholesterol home testing kit was designed to help you detect the risk of developing cardiovascular.
- Cerascreen– This cholesterol send-in sample collection kit will measure the relevant blood lipid values.
This cholesterol and lipids at-home lab test is similar to a standard lipid panel. Biomarkers measured include total cholesterol, calculated LDL, HDL, and triglycerides.
It’s a convenient cholesterol check that gives you easy-to-understand results for 3 key measures of cholesterol, as well as triglycerides.
This test uses a finger prick sample collection.
- Measures total cholesterol, HDL, calculated LDL, and triglycerides
- Finger prick sample collection
- You will receive easy-to-understand results
- Free Shipping
- The cholesterol test kit can be covered using Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts
- Everlywell uses modernized lab testing and works with a CLIA-certified lab
- Your kit comes equipped with gauze, collection cassette, lancet, alcohol pad, patient info sticker, blood sample return bag, prepaid return shipping label
- Everlywell tests are reviewed and approved by an independent board-certified physician within your state.
- Everlywell is HIPAA compliant and takes your privacy very seriously.
You can access Everlywell’s cholesterol test kit for $49 via their official website. They offer free shipping, and FSA / HSA are accepted forms of payment.
This cholesterol test is for anyone who is monitoring their cholesterol or who is interested in learning about their current levels.
The myLAB Box at-home cholesterol and lipids test is designed to help you understand your increased risks for cardiovascular disease for better disease control and prevention.
myLAB Box designed this home cholesterol test kit to help you achieve proper management of cardiometabolic risk factors, as they can support your overall wellness and provide effective tools for improved lifestyle and longevity.
- myLAB Box works with the best laboratories and health experts to ensure your test results meet national standards and are as accurate as tests done in a professional setting.
- myLAB Box works with laboratories that are CAP and CLIA-certified
- You can conveniently pay with FSA / HSA cards
- myLAB Box is listed by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC)
- This is a Lab Certified 5-minute test
- You will receive your tests results within 2 to 5 days
- The company provides free physician consultations
- Subscription packages are available, as well as single purchase options
- This test promises to be 100% pain-free, although it uses a finger prick sample collection method
- Free shipping is also provided.
Additionally, you receive free shipping with every purchase, and you can pay with FSA / HSA cards
This at-home cholesterol test kit is ideal for persons with certain risk factors, such as high blood pressure and glucose, elevated triglycerides, abdominal obesity, physical inactivity, and smoking. A combination of at least three of these risk factors increases your risk for cardiovascular disease.
This is an easy at-home test to help monitor your cholesterol levels for better management of your heart health.
LetsGetChecked also provides treatment for high cholesterol is available via its Cholesterol CarePathway. This cholesterol test kit can be used to check for Total Triglycerides, Total Cholesterol, HDL (High-Density Lipoprotein), LDL (Low-Density Lipoprotein), and HDL % of Total Cholesterol.
- This is an easy-to-use test
- The LetsGetChecked cholesterol test kit checks for five biomarkers
- You will receive secure results within 2 to 5 days
- LetsGetChecked works with the same labs that physicians and hospitals use
- The company can provide you with medication for High LDL Cholesterol sent directly to your home
- This test uses a quick finger prick collection method
- Subscription packages are available
- FSA & HSA cards accepted
- You will also receive a helpful factsheet from clinical experts and an official lab report.
This cholesterol test kit is available for $79 on the official LetsGetChecked website. You will also receive free shipping on every purchase, and if you subscribe to their 3-month plan, you get 30% off.
LetsGetChecked at-home cholesterol tests are suitable for every adult who needs to and who wants to understand and monitor their heart health. Read here to find out if this test is not suitable for you.
Crucial Health Test is Lab.Me’s flagship at-home liver and heart function test that looks at your cholesterol, liver, and other lipids to help you monitor both your cardiovascular and liver health.
This affordable, easy-to-perform at-home heart test takes about 5 minutes of your time and comes with secure online results 2 to 3 days after our lab receives it.
Using a finger prick method, this test measures GGT, LDL % of HDL, VLDL, Total Triglycerides, Lipids, Cholesterol, HDL (High-Density Lipoprotein), LDL (Low-Density Lipoprotein), and HDL % of Total Cholesterol.
- This test kit measure nine liver and heart health biomarkers
- One-time purchase and subscription options are available
- Finger prick blood sample collection method
- You will receive secure online results 2-3 days after the lab has received your sample
- The company provides an instructional video via its website to help you properly collect your sample
- Lab.Me uses the same accredited labs and methods to test your blood as your medical doctor
- You will receive personalized reports, test recommendations, and evidence-based advice that you can use to make positive lifestyle changes
- Your kit contains everything you need to test from home, including a pre-paid envelope to send your sample back.
This at-home cholesterol test is available on the Lab.Me website for $69 per one-time purchase and if you subscribe to receive a kit every three months, you will save 10% by paying $62 per kit.
This test is ideal for anyone who needs to check their cholesterol levels. However, if you have certain risk factors, like a strong family history of heart disease, take cholesterol medication, are overweight, drink smoke & drink alcohol frequently, don’t exercise, and lead an overall sedentary lifestyle, we strongly encourage you to get tested.
This at-home cholesterol test kit monitors your cardiovascular health by focusing on a broad range of heart-healthy indicators, such as cholesterol, glucose, and inflammation.
It measures your hs-CRP, Total Cholesterol, Glucose, Triglycerides, LDL-C, HDL-C, and HbA1c using a simple finger prick blood sample collection method.
- This test monitors cholesterol, glucose, and inflammation biomarkers
- The test kit uses just a few drops of blood from the fingertip
- FSA/HSA cards are accepted forms of payment
- Free shipping is available with every purchase
- A sample report is available via the website for viewing before even making your purchase
- You will get your test results in 7 business days after the lab has received your sample
- Your report will e easy-to-understand
- This test is the same as the tests offered in clinics
- Every report is physician-approved
- All of the Imaware tests are performed by CLIA-certified labs, which is the gold standard in lab testing quality regulation.
Imaware’s cholesterol test kit is available for $89 via the company’s website. They also offer free shipping on every purchase.
You should use this at-home cholesterol test if you have a family history of heart disease and are experiencing certain symptoms, such as heart palpitations, feeling faint or fainting (syncope), rapid weight gain, leg pain, and fatigue. Notwithstanding, this test is suitable for anyone who wants to monitor or do a one-time check of their cholesterol levels.
This cholesterol home testing kit was designed by Verisana to help you detect the risk of developing cardiovascular and arteriosclerotic diseases early, based on several markers, including (Total) Cholesterol, HDL protein, LDL protein, Triglycerides, and Total-Cholesterol-to-HDL-Ratio.
- Free shipping is available with every purchase
- This test kit measures five cholesterol indicators
- A downloadable sample collection guide is available via the company website
- You can view a sample report before making your purchase
- If necessary, Verisana will assist you in finding a suitable therapist in your area
- Verisana and its partner laboratories take customer privacy very seriously. Only you will have access to this information, and they will not share your information with any unauthorized third party
- Your test results can be used to create a personalized nutritional plan.
This cholesterol and lipids test costs $119.95 via the Verisana website. Free shipping is available with every purchase.
The Verisana at-home cholesterol test is suitable for those who are at risk of developing cardiovascular diseases and need to keep monitoring their cholesterol and lipid levels to help optimize their diet, improve their health and decrease their risk of developing a cardiovascular disease.
The Cerascreen® Cholesterol Test is a send-in sample collection kit that will measure the relevant blood lipid values if an increased risk for arteriosclerosis is suspected.
The test determines your total cholesterol, HDL, LDL, and triglycerides, as well as the LDL/HDL ratio.
The process is pain-free and can be done easily from home. Your blood sample will be analyzed in vitro in a CLIA-certified partner lab.
- All results are reviewed by a doctor
- Free shipping is available on all orders
- The company offers a 30-day refund guarantee
- Test results are typically ready within 1 week of the lab receiving your sample
- Your blood sample will be analyzed in vitro in a CLIA-certified lab
- You will also receive individualized practical recommendations to better manage your cholesterol levels
- You can view a sample report before making your purchase
The Cerasceen lipid panel and cholesterol test is available for $42 as a single pack purchase and $70 as a double pack purchase, which means you save $14. These prices include taxes, and you also get free shipping with each order.
This Cerascreen® at-home Cholesterol Test is suitable for anyone who needs to check their cholesterol levels regularly or one-time only. Also, if you sign up for the company’s newsletter, you will receive a $5 voucher.
Are At-home Cholesterol Tests Accurate?
Yes, at-home cholesterol tests can be quite accurate. However, the exact degree of accuracy will vary based on a few factors, such as correctly collecting the sample and the brand you have used to do your home cholesterol testing.
All manufacturers and developers of home test kits for measuring cholesterol levels are governed by varying regulatory bodies.
For example, in the United States, it is the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) helps to guide and approve most over-the-counter test kits. They also ensure that users can reliably perform these tests.
These companies are also required to use CLIA-certified laboratory processing to ensure that you get accurate test results.
Additionally, some companies will have your results medically reviewed by a doctor or another medical professional.
Taking proper care of your health and wellness is essential. One way to do so is by keeping your cholesterol levels normal.
You can conveniently and safely use at-home cholesterol test kits to monitor your cholesterol indicators for better heart health management.
These tests are quite accurate and also offer affordability and privacy. Remember to always share your results with your personal doctor.