Like the natural processes of breathing and eating, stress is a normal part of our lives as humans. No matter where you live, no matter what you do for a living, even if you decide to raise pets and stay away from kids, you can’t escape that state of mental or emotional strain or tension.
Somehow, our bodies have been hard-wired by years of evolution to deal with stressful situations. So whether you work an exhausting 9-5 or are faced with near-death experiences, the world is indeed a stress-filled place to live in.
Studies carried out by the American Psychological Association show that more than 3/4 of adults in the U.S. report symptoms of stress which typically include headache, tiredness, or sleeping problems. But, more astoundingly, 49% of adults in the U.S. also say that stress has negatively affected their behavior.
Another survey by the American Institute of Stress reveals that 80% of workers in the United States experience work-related stress.
The good news is that you can now efficiently perform an at home lab test to measure Cortisol levels and other vital hormones that play a significant role in regulating how your body handles stress. However, the most crucial stress hormone is cortisol.
Can I Do an At-Home Cortisol Test?
Yes, you can purchase several available test kits online to test cortisol levels at home that are easy to use.
When To Test Cortisol Levels at Home?
An at home cortisol test is usually recommended for any of the following reasons:
1. When you constantly experience fatigue after little or no exertion.
2. When you have either Cushing’s syndrome or Addison’s disease. Cushing’s syndrome occurs when the body makes too much cortisol. Addison’s disease occurs when the body doesn’t make enough cortisol.
3. When you are a competitive body-builder.
How Can I Do an At Home Cortisol Test?
To test cortisol levels at home, you’ll need to collect blood, urine, or saliva samples and send them to the laboratory for analysis. The results will be available in a few days and sent to you via email or your smartphone.
Cortisol saliva tests are usually done at night, just before you sleep, or immediately you wake up from sleep. This is because cortisol levels in the blood are generally higher in the morning when we wake up and then fall throughout the day, reaching their lowest before midnight. The test kit will include a swab to collect your sample and a storage container that will be mailed to a certified laboratory with prepaid shipping, and you will receive your results in a matter of days.
Without further ado, here’s a quick look at the 6 most popular at home cortisol test kits available on the market today.
- EverlyWell: Evaluates fluctuations of cortisol, cortisone, and melatonin, hormones that affect stress and sleep. It uses urine sample collection.
- myLAB Box: Designed to accurately monitor your melatonin and cortisol levels in saliva, making it a fast and affordable lab test at home. Comes with free physician consultation.
- Let’sGetChecked: Accurately detects and measures cortisol levels in blood samples and adrenal performance.
- Lab.me: A versatile test kit that can easily measure melatonin, cortisol, and cortisone levels in urine, blood, and even saliva samples.
- Verisana: A diurnal cortisol test kit that measures saliva cortisol levels throughout the day.
- Cerascreen: An at-home stress home test for measuring cortisol levels in saliva.
- Thorne: A unique stress test kit that measures cortisol and Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) in saliva.
This cortisol test kit helps you stay at the peak of your health from the comfort of your home by evaluating the variations in the levels of three vital hormones that impact how well you sleep at night.
The home cortisol test kit can be ordered online and be received via mail. It includes detailed instructional materials to help guide you with sample collection, packaging, and prepaid shipping.
Per provided instructions, you will take a urine sample because the kidneys usually filter cortisol out of your bloodstream into the urine. Then carefully package your sample in the provided biohazard bag and use the prepaid label to ship your sample off to the laboratory.
The test result is reviewed by a physician and sent directly to your device in a few business days. You can also access valuable insights and suggestions on the EverlyWell secure platform.
- EverlyWell measures critical hormones necessary for healthy sleep.
- It is easy to use and gives more insight into how your body functions throughout the day.
- You get access to digital and printable results.
- It comes with all the materials you’ll need for sample collection and analysis.
- Any of their associated CLIA-certified laboratories perform the test to ensure the quality and reliability of both laboratory testing procedures.
- It has detailed instructions that are easy to follow.
- The results from the lab test are reviewed and approved by an independent board-certified physician located within your state.
- It can help you keep track of your overall wellness by helping you monitor your daily stress levels before they can lead to something worse.
- Privacy is a big deal, and EverlyWell uses state-of-the-art technology to ensure your data is kept safe and secure.
This product costs $49. EverlyWell enables users to have a monthly membership that includes a test of preference each month and 20% off of all additional tests. EverlyWell is at a low cost compared to competitors.
For anyone who wants to quickly and conveniently test cortisol levels at home without having to break the bank, the EverlyWell cortisol test kit is just right for you. It’s designed specifically for people who experience difficulty sleeping and want to measure hormonal levels that affect their metabolism, stress, and sleep patterns.
MyLAB Box is a sleep and stress test kit for men and women that measures cortisol and melatonin levels in saliva. The samples are collected privately from the comfort of your home, making the entire process fast, easy and private.
The test kit comes packaged with all the tools needed to collect the samples with easy-to-understand instructions to guide you.
MyLAB Box allows you to collect saliva four times a day in the morning, afternoon, evening, and nighttime. After the samples have been collected, they’re stored in the biohazard bag and posted in the prepaid envelope that comes with the kit.
The samples are shipped for laboratory analysis by one of the associated CLIA and CAP certified laboratories that process the samples using high complexity testing procedures to ensure accurate results. Test results come in 2-5 business days.
- Sample collection using MyLAB Box home cortisol test is pain-free as it uses only saliva samples.
- The kit comes with detailed instructions that are easy to follow.
- It allows you the freedom to get tested from the privacy of your home and get free physician consultations if the results are alarming.
- It makes testing fast and provides results that meet national standards and are accurate, no different from tests carried out in a clinic or a doctor’s office.
- The lab-certified results from your tests are available in 2-5 days.
- Test kits come with a free return mailing that allows you to ship the samples to the lab without added costs.
This at home cortisol test kit costs at least $199 and is available for purchase on their official website.
MyLAB Box is for both men and women who want to understand their body’s stress levels and how it impacts their sleep. Though at $199, it is certainly not the cheapest at home lab test kit. It will provide you with a comprehensive view of your current cortisol and melatonin to help you make the necessary diet or lifestyle changes.
LetsGetChecked carefully measures cortisol levels in blood samples through a finger prick. Because the blood is the primary means by which hormones travel around the body, it makes a good sample for the easy detection and measurement of stress hormones.
While finger-pricking may scare some people (even adults), the cortisol test kit comes with the tools needed for taking the samples in the safest possible way. It also comes with detailed, easy-to-follow instructions to test cortisol levels at home without prior experience.
LetsGetChecked provides a platform where you will create an account and receive your test results and guide on the next steps to take.
The first thing to do when you purchase your kit is to activate it online. Then collect samples in the collection tubes provided. Make sure to collect your samples in the morning between 8 am and 10 am, and ship them to the laboratory the same day using the prepaid shipping label provided.
Immediately the sample arrives at the CLIA approved and CAP-accredited laboratory, your results will be analyzed. Results will be sent directly to you via mail or mobile phone within 2 to 5 days.
- LetsGetChecked is designed to accurately measure cortisol levels in the blood.
- The blood sample must be collected early in the morning, between 8 am and 10 am and shipped to the laboratory the same day.
- While sample collection is invasive, finger-pricking using this at home lab test kit is simple and easy to use, with detailed instructions to guide you all the way.
- LetsGetChecked has a team of board-certified physicians who review every result to ensure accuracy and reliability.
- There are also medical teams available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, to help answer any questions regarding your results.
- It is discreet as you can use it in the comfort of your home.
- It is essential to know that LetsGetChecked uses the same labs used by hospitals, primary health care providers, and government programs.
LetsGetChecked costs $99 with free shipping. However, they do not accept insurance, but payment is allowed through debit or credit cards, PayPal, or Apple pay. You can also choose to subscribe and pay only $69.30 every 3 Months (saving 30%).
LetsGetChecked allows anyone to test their cortisol levels at home to detect if the levels in their blood are too high or too low. It is usually recommended for people who constantly feel run down, are hardcore body-builders, experience symptoms of Cushing syndrome, have symptoms of Addison’s disease, or take testosterone.
The Lab.me kit is a versatile at home lab kit explicitly designed to assess sleep/wake cycle dysfunction, insomnia, and chronic sleeplessness by measuring melatonin levels in concert with cortisol and cortisone. The results provided will help you find out if your hormones are the reason behind your persistent sleep problems.
The collection method is by finger prick for blood, while saliva and urine samples come with a designated container that can be sealed. The kit contains detailed instructions that you can easily follow, and it comes with all the tools you’ll need to carry out the test.
After collection, the blood, urine, and saliva samples are to be taken from the comfort of your home, sealed, and sent to an accredited laboratory for analysis. Results will be communicated in 48 hours.
- Lab.me is convenient to use, and sample collection can easily be performed privately from the comfort of your home.
- It saves time.
- It provides accurate and reliable results, which are made available in 48 hours.
- It is confidential, and board-certified physicians will always review your results for accuracy.
- It provides personalized reports on tests and evidence-based advice to make positive changes.
This kit costs $279 on their official website, and payments through major credit cards or HSAs are accepted. Lab.me offers 30% off of the regular one-time price of each kit for every three months as a subscription service.
Lab.me is best for anyone who has struggled with sleeping difficulties (either falling asleep or staying asleep), people with chronic fatigue, people experiencing chronic sleeplessness that is starting to threaten their health.
Verisana at home cortisol test kit is a diurnal cortisol test kit explicitly created to measure blood levels of cortisol throughout the day. Because research shows that the stress hormone, cortisol, is released in different amounts throughout the day, Verisana aims to keep a close tab on these moments by allowing you to measure the blood cortisol levels in the morning, after 4 hours, after 8 hours, and lastly after 10 hours.
This way, you can easily detect abnormalities in your stress hormones and make efforts to seek medical help or make lifestyle changes.
- The Verisana Diurnal test kit can easily identify abnormalities in your cortisol levels.
- The saliva sample collection starts early in the morning and continues throughout the day.
- Once samples are collected in the comfort of your home and sealed, they’re shipped to and analyzed at a CLIA-certified laboratory.
- After analysis, the results will be available for download through a secure Verisana portal.
- The analysis results will provide a detailed overview of your cortisol level compared to reference ranges within your age group.
- You’ll have to discuss the results of the at home lab test with your physician.
Verisana Diurnal Cortisol test kit costs $129.95.
Verisana provides a convenient way to measure and keep track of your body’s stress levels throughout the day. It is helpful for people who experience overwhelming tiredness, depression, sleep disorders, and have trouble concentrating.
Cerascreen at home cortisol test is a stress hormone testing kit that allows you to easily and conveniently measure the cortisol in your saliva from the comfort of your home.
The product comes with a saliva collection kit that includes 7 collection tubes to be filled with saliva throughout the day.
The samples collected will be sealed and shipped to a specialist laboratory for extensive analysis. The results will be sent back to you in a few days after the sample arrives at the lab. The results will provide an overview of your blood cortisol concentration at different times of the day.
- Cerascreen allows you to carry out cortisol tests at home conveniently and discreetly.
- Sample collection is easy, and the kit is very easy to use.
- It helps to keep track of the body’s stress hormone levels during the course of the day.
- The Cerascreen at home lab test kit cannot be sold in N.Y., NJ, RI, or M.D.
- The test samples should not be collected when you have flu or cold. Doing this can lead to false results.
- The results provided will also provide many health recommendations aimed at helping you normalize your levels of cortisol.
The at-home cortisol test kit costs $79, and it is available for purchase on their official website.
At $79, Cerascreen at home cortisol test kit provides an affordable, easy-to-use, non-invasive method for measuring your cortisol levels. This is best for people with fitness goals who wish to keep their hormonal levels in check.
The Thorne at home cortisol test kit is a specially designed stress test that measures Cortisol and Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) in saliva. Once you activate the kit and create your online profile, the next step is sample collection. The kit contains all the necessary tools you’ll need for sample collection and a clear instructions manual that guides you through the process.
After collection, the samples are sealed and shipped using a prepaid shipper to any of the certified laboratories.
Your results from the analysis are sent directly to you in 8-10 business days after being reviewed by an independent board-certified physician to ensure accuracy and reliability. The results are accompanied by recommendations to help you normalize your hormone levels.
- The Thorne home cortisol test kit is convenient and easy to use, even if it’s your first time.
- Thorne uses CLIA and CAP-certified laboratories.
- Sample collection involves collecting saliva in 4 separate tubes at different time intervals.
- Throne provides an interactive interface for the review of biomarkers cortisol and DHEA levels in saliva.
- Cortisol is measured because it’s the body’s primary stress hormone secreted by the adrenal glands during periods of stress. DHEA, on the other hand, helps to balance cortisol.
Thorne at home cortisol test kit costs $156, and it can be purchased from their official website.
While Thorne might not be the cheapest at home lab test kit on this list, it is usually recommended for people who are always tired, experience insomnia, can’t wake up without strong coffee, easily fall sick under stress, or have frequent unexplainable mood swings.
Are At-Home Cortisol Tests Kits Accurate?
Yes, the results of at home cortisol tests kits are accurate. However, the degree of accuracy depends on the chosen collection method (blood/saliva/urine) and the type of test. These tests are a convenient way to detect dangerous hormonal imbalances before they lead to severe complications. It is also a means to monitor conditions like diabetes.
Though the at home cortisol test kits are reliable and accurate, these products should not be used to replace medical advice from the medical doctor.
If you’re left unsatisfied with the test results, you should immediately consult a doctor for further assistance.
Though stress is a normal part of our lives, prolonged stress should be avoided as much as possible as it causes long-term mental and physical health problems. Checking your cortisol levels regularly helps keep stress in check and take measures to prevent the development of severe health issues.
At home cortisol tests are affordable, convenient, private, and provide accurate and reliable results that will save you time and energy.