Affiliate disclaimer: Our recommendations include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission.
The first sign of diabetes is usually the presence of excess sugar in your urine. But what if you are at home and cannot check your urine for sugar?
You need a way to know whether your sugar levels are high or not before it becomes life-threatening. You need a kit that can give you an accurate reading of your blood sugar without having to go to the hospital.
The answer to all these questions is the best at-home diabetes test kit. Test kits are small devices that can determine the concentration of any chemical element or marker in our blood, saliva, or urine.
In this article, we will discuss everything you need to know about testing for diabetes at home and how to pick the right kit for yourself and your family members.
Can I Do An At-Home Diabetes Test?
Yes, you can. You just need to ensure that you are testing the right element in your blood or urine.
The two significant indicators of diabetes are blood sugar and haemoglobin A1c. Blood sugar is the amount of glucose in the blood. A normal blood sugar level is less than 100 mg/dl, and an A1c level is less than 5%. Glucose is a type of sugar that is the main source of energy for the cells in our body.
A diabetic person has high blood sugar levels because their body can’t make enough insulin or can’t use the insulin they make properly. Blood sugar levels are often tested to see if a person has diabetes.
A normal blood sugar level is less than 100 mg/dl. If it’s between 100 and 125 mg/dl, you may have prediabetes. An A1c test checks your average blood sugar levels for the past 2 to 3 months.
A1c tests are used to find out if you have diabetes and to see how well your diabetes treatment is working. They’re especially important for people at high risk for diabetes.
How Can I Test for Diabetes At Home?
As we have discussed above, blood sugar and A1c are the two indicators of diabetes, and you can test them at home.
To test blood sugar, you need a blood glucose meter, blood lancet, test strip, and a few micro cups. For A1c, you need a glucose strip, a blood lancet, and a small blood sample.
The Blood Glucose Meter
This is a small device that uses a drop of blood on a test strip to give you a reading of your blood sugar. You can use a blood glucose meter to test your blood sugar at any time during the day. This will help you keep track of your blood sugar levels and decide when to take your medicines.
The Blood Test for A1c
This test will determine your A1c levels and show if you have diabetes. To collect a sample of blood, you need to use a special lancet. You can test your blood for A1c by placing a drop of blood on a glucose strip and then placing the strip into a meter. The A1c levels will be displayed within a few minutes.
- Everlywell– is a single-drop blood sugar test.
- My LabBox– can be used to test your haemoglobin A1c level.
- Lets Get Checked– can be used to test both glycemic and haemoglobin levels.
- ImAware– is designed to be used by people who are 18 years and older.
- Cerascreen– is an easy-to-use blood test kit.
- DTI Laboratories– is the first FDA-approved home blood test kit for diabetes.
The Everlywell HbA1c Test is a single-drop blood sugar test that can be used to quickly and accurately measure your blood sugar levels.
This test kit is one of the most accurate blood sugar test kits available on the market.
Testing your blood sugar levels at home is quite easy and quick with the Everlywell HbA1c Test. Just prick your finger with the lancet provided in the kit and place a drop of blood on the test strip.
After a few seconds, the test strip will show your blood sugar levels.
- The Everlywell HbA1c Test is an easy-to-use blood sugar test kit
- The test kit uses advanced testing technology to measure your blood sugar levels
- The test kit is designed to be used by diabetics and non-diabetics alike
- The test kit comes with everything that you need to test your blood sugar levels. The test kit has a lancet to prick your finger, a blood glucose test strip, and a sample vial
- Collect your sample and mail it to a certified lab with a prepaid shipping
- Within days, you’ll receive physician-reviewed digital results and useful insights on our secure platform
- Once your test kit arrives, you register it at everlywell.com using the unique ID number included in your box
- Gain meaningful insights about your health with easy-to-understand test results
- View a personalized report of each marker tested, as well as detailed information about what your results mean for you
You can purchase the Everlywell diabetes home testing kit for $49.00 as a one-time purchase cost; however, you can also get up to 25% off with their monthly, quarterly, and semi-annual subscriptions. Free shipping is provided, plus FSA and HSA are accepted.
The Everlywell HbA1c Test is an excellent choice for people looking for an accurate and easy-to-use test kit.
The My LabBox Hemoglobin A1c Screening Test is a single-test kit that can be used to test your hemoglobin A1c level.
The test kit is designed for people who want to take control of their health and wellness. This single-test kit can be used by anyone who wants to know their hemoglobin A1c level.
The test strip is placed in the sample vial with your blood. After 5 seconds, the test strip changes color, and the results are displayed on the test strip.
- The test kit comes with a test strip, a lancet, and a sample vial.
- The My LabBox Hemoglobin A1c Screening Test is an easy-to-use blood test kit that can be used to test your hemoglobin A1c level at home
- You will receive your lab results within 2 to 5 days
- This test kit promises to be pain-free
- The company provides free shipping with each purchase
- This diabetes testing kit uses a simple finger prick blood sample collection method
- My LabBox works only with the best laboratories and health experts to ensure your tests results meet national standards and are as accurate as tests done in a clinic or a doctor’s office
- This company is CDC-listed
- You can pay with FSA / HSA cards
- Their partner labs are CAP & CLIA-certified
The one-time purchase price for this kit is $74.00; however, you can subscribe and receive up to a 15% discount on all orders.
This diabetes testing kit is ideal for anyone who is in a prediabetic state, as well as those who are already diagnosed with type 1 or 2 diabetes.
The Lets Get Checked Home Diabetes Test is a single-test kit that can be used to test your blood sugar levels and haemoglobin A1c level.
The test kit can be used to test both glycemic and haemoglobin levels. The test kit comes with a sample vial, a test strip, and a lancet.
It is designed to be used by both diabetics and non-diabetics. The test kit is an excellent choice for people who want to test their blood sugar and haemoglobin A1c levels at home.
- The test kit comes with everything that you need to test your blood sugar and haemoglobin A1c levels. The test kit has a sample vial, a test strip, and a lancet
- You can access your lab results online results in 2 to 5 days
- This kit uses a finger prick blood sample collection method
- FSA & HSA cards are accepted
- You can return your sample on the same day using the prepaid shipping label provided
- Lets Get Checked has a dedicated clinical team to support you and may call you to explain your results and provide guidance on your next steps
This home diabetes testing kit is available for a one-time purchase cost of $79.00. There are also subscription options that could allow you to save up to 30%.
This test is for anyone seeking to determine their risk of diabetes (pre-diabetes) or how well their diabetes is being managed if previously diagnosed.
The ImAware Prediabetes / Diabetes Screening Test is a single-test kit that can be used to test your blood sugar levels via your glucose and HbA1c levels. The test kit comes with a sample vial, a test strip, and a lancet.
It is designed to be used by people who are 18 years and older and is an excellent choice for people who want to test their blood sugar levels at home.
- This at-home test kit monitors your glucose and HbA1c levels
- Free shipping is provided with each order
- You will use a quick and easy finger prick sample collection method with just a few drops of blood from the fingertip
- All of the company’s tests are performed by CLIA-certified labs, the gold standard in lab testing quality regulation
- FSA/HSA cards are accepted
- Your test results should be ready within seven business days
- The company promises actionable, in-depth health insights that are personal to you to help you make informed decisions
- Within your results report, you will also find detailed information intended for your healthcare professional
You can purchase this diabetes at-home test kit for $79.00 via the company’s official website. Also, FSA/HSA cards are accepted.
The test kit is an excellent choice for people who want to know if they have high blood sugar levels. Diabetes symptoms vary based on blood sugar levels. Consider getting tested if you’re experiencing increased thirst, blurred vision, frequent urination, or fatigued.
The Cerascreen Home Hemoglobin A1c Test for Diabetes is an easy-to-use blood test kit that can be used to test your hemoglobin A1c levels at home.
The test kit comes with a test strip, a sample vial, and a lancet. The test strip is placed in the sample vial with your blood. After 5 seconds, the test strip changes color, and the results are displayed on the test strip.
- The shipping provided is fast and free
- The company offers CLIA-certified lab diagnostics
- You will receive a comprehensive results report with specific treatment recommendations
- The company is FDA-registered
- Your results are medically reviewed by a doctor before being passed on to you
- The company will provide support via free health consultation and quality supplements
You can purchase a single pack for $49.00 or a double-pack for $88.00. Plus, sign up for their newsletter and get a $5 voucher!
This home sugar testing kit is suitable for just about anyone over the age of 18, not just persons diagnosed with diabetes.
The DTI Laboratories At-Home A1c Test Kit is the first FDA-approved home blood test kit for self-monitoring of blood glucose. It is a non-fasting, finger stick, whole blood mail-in test.
This test kit is designed for people who are above the age of 18 and have diabetes or prediabetes.
- This test kit is FDA approved for over-the-counter (OTC) use
- The company uses a CLIA Approved Laboratory/NGSP Certified Method of analysis
- It is considered the most accurate and comprehensive at-home A1c test available
- DTI Lab is a national core laboratory that provides exclusive testing for all samples and, as such, does not outsource to partner labs
- Kits are available in either English or Spanish and can be privately labelled
You can purchase this diabetes home test kit for $50.95 retail. Wholesale pricing is also available.
This at-home diabetes testing kit is suitable for anyone who is diagnosed with type 1 or 2 diabetes and those who are not diagnosed.
Are At-home Diabetes Test Kits Accurate?
Yes, they are. Many of these home testing diabetes kits are FDA-cleared, and at least one is FDA-approved after undergoing various tests and protocols.
Additionally, these kits come with instructions on how to use the test kit to get accurate and reliable results.
However, it is important to note that you should use the test kit exactly as instructed to get the best results.
People with diabetes must test their blood sugar levels regularly to keep track of their condition. This is one of the most important things to do for people who are diabetic or pre-diabetic.
However, it can be difficult to do this when you’re out and about. This is where at-home diabetes test kits come in. They are ideal for people who are diabetic or pre-diabetic and want to keep track of their blood sugar levels at home.
These kits are an excellent way to keep track of your blood sugar levels in the comfort of your home.