Affiliate disclaimer: Our recommendations include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission.
Did you know that 80% of people with diabetes also have another chronic illness? Many people with diabetes also suffer from obesity, hypertension, and high cholesterol.
What this means is that if you have diabetes, you are at an increased risk of developing other illnesses as well.
If left untreated or poorly managed, diabetes can lead to complications such as heart disease, blindness, kidney failure, and nerve damage.
But there’s no need to panic – with the right management plan and support network in place, most people with Type 1 or Type 2 can live healthy, happy lives.
One way to keep tabs on your blood sugar is by using an at-home testing kit for diabetes. Here are some great home testing kits for diabetes that may be able to help you better prevent or control diabetes.
Can I Do an At-home Diabetes Test?
Yes, you can do an at-home diabetes test. There are a few different types of home testing kits available, including blood glucose meters, urine strips, and finger pricking devices.
While the type of test you use will depend on the type of diabetes you have, the basic process behind each test remains the same.
If you have Type 1 diabetes, you will need to use a blood glucose meter to test your blood sugar. Most meters use a tiny needle to take a tiny sample of blood. This test is quick and painless – but if you’re the kind of person who gets squeamish at the sight of blood, then you may want to opt for a different test.
People with Type 2 diabetes often use urine strip tests to track their blood sugar. These work by detecting the presence of glucose in your urine, which is a by-product of the breakdown of carbohydrates in your diet.
If your diet is low in carbs, you will produce less glucose, and you won’t be able to detect the presence of glucose in your urine.
How Can I Test for Diabetes At Home?
For people with Type 1 diabetes, the most common method of testing for diabetes at home is by using a blood glucose meter.
You will need to take a blood sample from your fingertip or elsewhere and then insert it into the meter.
Most glucometers have a small strip that will have a specific place on it that needs to be stuck to the sample. Once inserted, the meter will display a reading detailing your blood glucose level.
However, this is not the same as your blood glucose level. You will also need to factor in your age, weight, and any medications you are taking. If your blood glucose level is higher than the recommended level, you will need to make adjustments to your diet or medication.
If it is extremely high, then we encourage you to speak with your medical doctor for medical advice, diagnosis, and treatment.
- Care Touch– is compatible with both Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes.
- Dario– a blood glucose meter that is designed for people with Type 1 diabetes.
- Dexcom– is designed for people with Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes.
- Eversense– is an implantable long-term device designed for people with Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes.
- Medtronic– is designed for people with Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes.
- True Decor– is designed for people with Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes.
The Care Touch at-home diabetes test is a blood glucose meter that allows you to test your blood sugar levels from the comfort of your own home.
The Care Touch meter is easy to use and straightforward. You simply need to remove the cap from the blood sampling end of the meter and prick your finger with the built-in lancet.
Once you’ve inserted your blood sample into the meter, the Care Touch will display your blood sugar level.
The Care Touch meter is compatible with both Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes. It also allows you to track your blood sugar levels over time and adjust your diet or insulin levels accordingly.
- The Care Touch meter is compatible with both Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes
- No Coding Required
- You will get your test results in 5 seconds or less
- This glucometer uses a Hygienic Test Strip Release Ejector, which means no more handling is used, soiled test strips
- 14-Day Averaging Pre- / Post-Meal Flagging 300 Memory to help you monitor the effectiveness of treatments
- This device also helps you to save on its battery life with its Alternative Site Testing Automatic off function
- This is a well-known company that manufacturers and markets medical supplies for more than just diabetes testing kits
- You will receive 100 Blood Test Strips in this kit, 1 Lancing Device, and 30 Gauge Lancets (100 count)
You can purchase this at-home diabetes testing kit from Amazon for $39.99 at its current discounted rate. You can also benefit from free shipping, even without Amazon Prime.
This test kit is ideal for both personal and professional use and is more than suitable for type 1 and type 2 diabetes.
The DARIO at-home diabetes test is a blood glucose meter that is designed for people with Type 1 diabetes.
The meter offers the convenience of a home test without the hassle of cleaning out blood samples and test strips. Plus, it’s incredibly easy to use – just insert a blood sample, and the meter will automatically display your blood sugar level.
The DARIO meter is easy to store and comes with an integrated lancet. You can also use the accompanying app to track your blood sugar levels over time and make adjustments accordingly.
- This kit of diabetes test equipment includes a Glucose-Meter with 25 Strips and 10 Sterile lancets
- You can choose between iPhone and Android capability
- No batteries or coding are necessary; simply plug the tiny meter into your phone and download the Dario app
- You will have access to unlimited test results, as they will be available on your phone, along with the reporting of past blood tests so you can track progress.
- You will be able to email your doctor trend reports and emergency text with GPS
- This kit offers less pain with only a tiny drop of blood
- Dario All-In-One Blood Glucose Meter & Lancing device + 25 Test Strips + 10 Lancets + Dario App are FDA-cleared
- The app is compatible with a variety of phone types
- The company provides a step-by-step guide on how to correctly use the diabetes testing kit. You can view these instructions before making your purchase.
- Dario meets the highest accuracy standards of ISO: 13485 and 15197
On Amazon, you may purchase the DARIO diabetes texting equipment for $34.90; however, you can also get a coupon for a 5% discount. Free shipping is also offered.
This at-home diabetes test equipment from DARIO is great for anyone who is new to home testing. It’s easy to use and offers the same level of accuracy as a traditional meter.
The Dexcom at-home Diabetes test is a blood glucose meter that is designed for people with Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes.
This meter is useful for people who have trouble testing their blood glucose levels manually. The meter comes with a tiny sensor that you need to insert just under your skin.
The sensor will then send your blood glucose levels to a small transmitter, where they will be displayed on an accompanying app. The Dexcom meter is great for people with busy lives who don’t have time to test their blood regularly.
It’s also a helpful tool for parents of young children with diabetes, who may struggle to test their blood glucose levels repeatedly during the day.
- This design features a simple auto-applicator – a one-touch applicator that easily inserts a small sensor just beneath the skin
- It also has a sensor and transmitter – a slim sensor continuously measures glucose levels just beneath the skin and sends data wirelessly to a display device through a transmitter
- The display device is a small touch screen receiver or compatible smart device that displays real-time glucose data
- It is a wearable sensor that no one will know you’re wearing
- The Dexcom G6 features a 10-day wear sensor that is designed to be water-resistant and easy to insert1 with an auto-applicator
- Dexcom CGM use is clinically proven to lower A1C, reduce hyper- and hypoglycemia, and increase time in range
- The Dexcom G6 is FDA-permitted to make diabetes treatment decisions without confirmatory fingersticks or calibration
- You will be able to see your glucose numbers with just a quick glance at your smart device. Set your range to get notified when you’re too high or low
- You can use the Dexcom Share feature available in the Dexcom G6 CGM app to provide your glucose data with up to 10 followers
- There is a customer service line that you can all for assistance (888-738-3646)
In order to purchase the Dexcom CGM, you will need to fill out an information sheet to help the company determine if this device is suitable for you.
This at-home diabetes test kit is best used by people diagnosed with type 1 or type 2 diabetes.
The Eversense at-home diabetes test is a blood glucose meter that is designed for people with Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes. It is an implantable long-term device. This meter is more than just a blood glucose meter – it also allows you to track your diet and exercise levels.
The Eversense blood glucose meter works with an accompanying app that will record all of your blood sugar levels. The app also allows you to track your carb intake and exercise levels.
An Eversense meter is a great tool for people who need a bit of extra help to track their blood sugar levels. It’s also useful for people who have busy lives and don’t have time to test their blood sugar levels on a regular basis.
- Eversense promises peace of mind accuracy
- You can use one sensor continuously for over six months
- The transmitter is easy-on and easy-off to facilitate flexibility in wearing
- Also, because it uses a daily silicone-based adhesive, it is quite gentle on the skin and can reduce skin reactions
- You will receive discrete on-body vibrations when your blood sugar levels get too high or low
- There is a lot of information on the company’s official website for you to read up and learn more, and if you have further questions, you can reach out to their customer service
- This device is covered by Medicare and private insurance
Before being able to purchase the Eversense CGM, you must fill out a short form for the company to determine your eligibility. You may be able to cover some of the costs using Medicare and private insurance.
This at-home diabetes test kit is suitable for persons affected by type 1 and type 2 diabetes, especially if you’re on multiple daily doses of insulin; you might greatly benefit from Eversense E3.
The Medtronic at-home diabetes test is a blood glucose meter that is designed for people with Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes.
This meter is designed to be as easy to use as possible. The meter comes with a tiny cap that you need to attach to the blood sampling end of the meter.
Simply insert the blood sample into the cap and wait for the meter to display your blood sugar level. The Medtronic blood glucose meter is easy to use, portable and can be used by people of all ages.
It’s also a great choice for parents of young children with diabetes, as the meter is simple to operate and requires no blood sampling.
- The Medtronic CGM system allows you to see glucose levels, trends, and alerts on your mobile device
- The system can be used by those living with type 1 or type 2 diabetes
- Glucose levels are updated every 5 minutes on the app– helping you see your levels in real-time
- You can easily track when an insulin dose is delivered, a meal is eaten, or exercise occurs. These markers will help you learn how your glucose reacts after an event
- You will be able to see how your glucose has trended over the past 24 hours. The app provides you with daily trend lines that can help you understand daily patterns with glucose fluctuations
- The sensor can be worn on the abdomen, arm, or buttock, depending on your age
- The device also has a transmitter that will connect to the sensor and sends glucose information to your smartphone
- You will receive predictive alerts on your phone when your glucose levels are falling
The Medtronic CGM kit is available at various prices depending on the type of insurance coverage that you have. Please note that a prescription is required in order to purchase this device.
This at-home diabetes testing kit system can be used by those living with type 1 or type 2 diabetes.
The True Decor at-home diabetes test is a blood glucose meter that is designed for people with Type 2 diabetes. The True Decor meter is one of the simplest blood glucose meters on the market.
You simply need to insert a blood sample into the meter, insert the meter into the accompanying device, and then wait for the results to appear. The meter is compatible with both manual and automatic blood glucose meters.
The True Decor home diabetes test is easy to use and great for people who are new to home testing. It’s also a helpful tool for parents of young children with diabetes, as the meter is simple to operate and requires no blood sampling.
- True Decor uses Triple Sense Technology
- No coding is necessary to use this device, and you will get your results as fast as 4 seconds
- It uses a tiny 0.5 microliter sample size and an alternate site testing, so you don’t have to use the same finger every time
- True Decor stores 500 results with time and date and has the capability of 7, 14, and 30-day averaging
- Also, the test strips are proudly made in the USA
You can purchase this home diabetes testing kit for $16.40 via Amazon.
This diabetes test kit from True Decor is suitable for both type 1 and type 2 diabetes.
At-home diabetes tests are quick and easy to use. You simply need to follow the instructions provided with your test to accurately track your blood glucose levels.
The best home testing kits for diabetes are easy-to-use and come with instructions that are easy to understand.