Affiliate disclaimer: Our recommendations include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission.
You may have heard about the At-Home HIV Test kits that are becoming more and more popular. These HIV test kits help you get an accurate result without having to go to a doctor or a clinic.
They allow you to do your own blood, saliva, penile, or vaginal test whenever you want, so long as you have access to the right tools and know-how.
If you’re ready to learn more about these at-home HIV test kits, continue reading this article and find out everything you need to know.
Can I Do an At-home HIV Test?
Yes, many HIV test kits can be done at home. These include penile, cervical, and oral swabs, as well as blood samples.
Testing with a swab allows you to get an accurate result without having to go to a doctor or clinic. You can buy a home HIV test kit online and then follow simple steps to test yourself. Buy the test kit, get the swabs, and then test yourself.
At-home HIV tests are convenient and easy to do. Most home HIV test kits can help you see if you have antibodies in your blood that could be a sign of HIV infection.
What Is An At-Home HIV Test?
Simply put, an at-home HIV test looks for antibodies in your blood that are produced by the body in response to HIV.
Antibodies are proteins that are produced in the immune system to help fight off infections. If you’re exposed to the virus, antibodies are created in your blood. These antibodies stay in the blood for a while, so they can be detected by a blood test.
If you have antibodies in your blood, you may be exposed to HIV and are at risk of infection. If an at-home HIV test detects antibodies, you may be HIV-positive.
There’s even a chance that you might have been exposed to HIV but haven’t developed antibodies yet. You’re still at risk of infection and may want to get tested again in a few months.
How can I Do an At-Home HIV Test?
There are a number of ways to do an at-home HIV test. Some kits come with small swabs that you place on your cervix, penile, or tongue to collect a sample. Some of them require a simple finger prick.
You then send the sample to a lab, where the sample is put under a microscope to check for antibodies. If you don’t have access to one of these swabs, you can try using cotton balls and rubbing alcohol to collect a sample.
However, that should be the case, as manufacturers typically provide a full kit with everything required to collect and ship the sample.
After collecting the sample, you can put the swab in the prepaid envelope provided with the kit and send them to a lab.
These home HIV test kits can help you see if you have antibodies in your blood that could be a sign of HIV infection.
If you do, you can get tested in a clinic for a better result and treatment if necessary. You can also see if you’re at risk of other STDs.
- EverlyWell– this HIV self-test measures antibodies and antigens related to HIV.
- myLAB Box– allows you to screen from the comfort of home and receive your results within 2-5 days
- Verisana– uses your sample (blood spot) to determine your HIV status.
- OraQuick– is an FDA-approved over-the-counter HIV test.
- Genovate– is a 4th Generation At-Home HIV test allows earlier detection.
EverlyWell HIV Test
This at-home lab test will check for exposure to human immunodeficiency virus (HIV). Using a simple finger prick blood sample collection method, this HIV self-test measures antibodies and antigens related to HIV.
In the event that your test results are abnormal, you’ll have the opportunity to connect with our independent physician network at no additional cost to discuss your particular case.
- This kit Measures Antibodies and Antigen related to HIV, and each lab they work with is CLIA-certified (Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments)
- Everlywell tests are reviewed and approved by an independent board-certified physician within your state
- Everlywell is HIPAA compliant and takes your privacy very seriously
- FSA and HSA payments are accepted
- This test is a 4th generation HIV test
- Your test results will tell you whether or not HIV1/HIV2 differentiation antibodies
- EverlyWell provides everything you need to collect your sample at home and understand your results, including materials for sample collection and sample analysis, re-paid shipping both ways, and detailed directions to guide you
- Your results will be provided to you in both digital and print formats
- You will have the opportunity to get outreach on abnormal results and help along the way from the company’s customer care team.
You can purchase the EverlyWell at-home HIV testing kit for $69.00 if you are making a one-time purchase; otherwise, you can subscribe to receive a kit monthly, quarterly, or semi-annually and save up to 25 percent.
Also, you will receive free shipping with every order you make, plus FSA and HSA payments are accepted.
This at-home HIV test kit is ideal for anyone who believes that they may have been exposed to the virus.
However, HIV can infect anyone regardless of age, race, or sexual orientation, so it’s important that everyone, especially those who are sexually active, gets tested at least once in their lifetime.
myLAB Box HIV Home Test
This myLAB Box easy and convenient at-home HIV test allows you to screen from the comfort of home and receive your results within 2-5 days.
It helps you to know your status with just a prick on the finger, no awkward conversations, and no hassle.
- This kit has over 99.9% accuracy and is as reliable as tests used by doctors and hospitals
- You will receive two-way postage, and lab service fees are included
- FSA and HSA payments are accepted
- The company provides free telemedicine physician consultations if you test positive
- You will receive your lab test results in 2 to 5 days after the lab has received your sample
- Free shipping is provided with every order
- This HIV self-testing kit uses a finger prick blood sample collection method
- myLAB Box tests your sample via our CLIA (Clinical Laboratory Improvement Act) certified laboratory partners
- Various subscription packages are available
- This mail-in test kit facilitates the detection of antibodies to HIV-1 and HIV-2
This at-home HIV testing kit is suitable for anyone wanting to check their HIV status, as the CDC recommends that screening for HIV should be performed routinely for all individuals aged 13-64.
Verisana HIV Test
This HIV self-test kit uses your sample (blood spot) to determine your HIV status.
Verisana believes that knowing your HIV status gives you powerful information to help you take steps to keep you and your partner healthy.
- You will receive free shipping with your order
- Verisana ensures that only you will have access to this information, and they will not share your information with any not authorized third party. All samples are disposed of following analysis
- You will get access to a sample collection guide prior to making your purchase, so you know exactly what to expect
- This test kit uses a quick and simple blood sample from a finger prick that is almost painless
- If you have questions after receiving your test results, you can reach out for assistance by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Verisana and its partner laboratories (who may be contracted by the company to conduct some or all analyses of your test) take customer privacy very seriously.
You can purchase the Verisana at-home HIV test kit for $69.00, and you will receive free shipping with every purchase.
Since HIV can affect anyone who is sexually active and even those who are not, this test is recommended for everyone. It is ideal that you get checked for HIV at least once per year.
OraQuick In-Home HIV Test
OraQuick In-Home HIV Test is an FDA-approved over-the-counter HIV test that allows you to test quickly and easily in the comfort of your own home.
- This test kit is quite similar to the test that doctors have relied on for years
- Unlike many of the other brands, this kit uses an oral swab, which means no blood and no pain
- You will get your results at home in just 20 minutes
- If you need any assistance, the company has a 24/7 call center for support with bi-lingual English/Spanish representatives
- Your test kit will include everything you need to get your tests done, including a durable plastic case containing all test kit contents, a pouch containing a Single Use Test Device, a pouch containing a Test Tube filled – with 1mL of liquid, a disposable Bag, and more
- You will have access to an online interpretation of the test results before making your purchase
- You can also purchase this HIV home test kit at CVS, Walmart, Walgreens, Riteaid, Target, and more
- Access standard shipping for free and other paid options for expedited shipping
- You have the option of purchasing up to six kits at once for a discounted rate
An OraQuick in-home HIV test kit costs $38.99 on the company’s official website, and there is the option of purchasing it from a physical store, like Walmart. Also, you may order up to 6 kits at once at a discounted price.
This test kit is ideal for absolutely everyone, especially those who are extremely conscious about their privacy, as it does not need to be sent to a lab.
Genovate HIV Test
This 4th Generation At-Home HIV test allows earlier detection and superior accuracy compared to older 2nd Generation technology.
It allows you to find out whether you are infected with the HIV virus quickly and discreetly from the privacy of your own home.
- This test kit detects infection up to 2 months sooner than a 2G test since it uses 4th-generation technology
- Genovate claims to have the highest accuracy
- This test kit detects HIV IgG antibodies & p24 antigen
- It also detects HIV-1 & HIV-2
- The kit will be delivered discreetly to you. There is no need to leave the comfort of your home
- Sample return is easy and quick because you will be using the prepaid envelope included in the kit
- Your physician-reviewed results will be available within 1 to 3 days from your secure online platform
- Genovate is accredited by several authorities, including the College of American Pathologists
At the time of writing this article, the Genovate home HIV testing kit is available for $49.00.
Per the recommendations of the CDC, everyone between 13 and 64 years of age should get tested at least once for HIV as part of routine healthcare. For those who are sexually active, we advise getting tested at least once per year, as such, this test is ideal for anyone looking to verify their HIV status.
Are At-home HIV Tests Accurate?
Accuracy is the degree to which a test is free from deviation from the expected value. In other words, it’s how closely the result matches the true value (the answer).
An accurate home HIV test will only detect antibodies in your blood. If you haven’t been exposed to HIV, antibodies are not a sign of infection.
This is why it’s important to do an accurate at-home HIV test. If you test positive, you can get tested again in a clinic to get checked for other STDs and possibly receive treatment if necessary.
If you test negative, you can continue to take necessary precautions to avoid infection.
At-home HIV tests are one of the most accurate ways to determine if you have the virus.
These tests aren’t without risks, though. Because they can be inaccurate, you should use caution when testing yourself with at-home HIV kits.
If you’re ready to check if you have HIV or are at risk of contracting the virus, we recommend one of the at-home HIV test kits available today.