Affiliate disclaimer: Our recommendations include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission.
Just like humans, animals too can have allergies, and many pets have allergies that their owners are quite unaware of. According to BBC Science Focus Magazine, these allergies can be airborne or food-related, as there are many food and environmental factors that can serve as allergens.
Now, would you want to see your little baby suffering from diarrhea, watery eyes, runny nose, sneezing, itching, etc.? We think not and that’s why we recommend the use of home allergy tests for your pets.
This article will focus on the best at-home pet allergy test kits, their accuracy, and much more.
Can I do an At-home Pet Allergy Test?
Yes, you can certainly do at-home pet allergy tests to efficiently and conveniently determine if and what your pet is allergic to and it can also be used for monitoring purposes as recommended by a vet. These kits are not typically hard to use, as they are equipped with step-by-step instructions and there is always online support if needed.
You can choose from a series of brands that manufacture pet allergy test kits and to make it easier for you, a little further into this article we will explore what we believe are the top seven on the market.
These at-home allergy kits each check for up to 300 biomarkers that can indicate what your pet may be allergic to.
Do At-home Pet Allergy Tests Work?
Simply put, yes, at-home pet allergy test kits work. However, it is important to remember that these allergy kits should not be used to completely replace visits to your pet’s vet. In fact, it is recommended that they be used in tandem with veterinarians to identify and monitor dog allergies or cat allergies.
This is particularly important for a severe allergic reaction to environmental items or common food intolerance.
Therefore, if your pet is displaying signs of sensitivity or intolerance, you should consult with a veterinarian so that they can recommend a suitable at-home test kit.
Types of Allergies
This issue of sensitivity or intolerance to food and environmental factors can develop over time.
Then there are IgE (Immunoglobulin E) allergies that tend to occur almost immediately after your pet gets into contact with an allergen.
Allergens Tested Using Pet Allergy Tests at Home
- Fruits and vegetables
- Grass (plants)
Here's How The At-home Pet Allergy Tests Work
The kits work by using various samples, like saliva, blood, and hair. The sample needed will be dependent on the brand of the kit being used.
As such, once you order and receive the kit, all you need to do is properly collect a saliva, blood, or hair sample then mail it to the company’s lab. There is usually free shipping.
The veterinarian should receive a copy of the results, which will help to validate their diagnosis and guide your pet’s treatment plan. You should get these test results within a few days or weeks via email. The exact time frame is specific to the brand.
- TestMyAllergy: TestMyAllergy offers a pet and animal test kit to check your pet intolerances using a hair sample and this test measures up to 300 different items found in your pet’s diet etc.
- Allergy Test: Prime 110 allergy test offers two products; a sensitivity test for pets kit and a sensitivity test plus for pets kit to check the food ingredients that trigger your pets.
- 5Strands for Cat and Dogs: 5Strands offers the pet standard package that includes two tests; the food intolerance test and the environment intolerance test.
- 5Strands for Equine: 5Strands also offers the equine deluxe package for your horse to let you know how your horse responds to the dietary and lifestyle decisions you put it on.
- TestMyPets: TestMyPets offers two kinds of test kits for your pets, these are the standard test kits to check the food sensitivities and environmental sensitivities of dogs, cats, and horses.
- NutriScan: Nutriscan reviews your cat and dog’s hair sample for food ingredients that they are sensitive to.
- A.T. My Pet: Allergy test my pet is a dog allergy test that helps you discover your dog’s intolerance and sensitivities to over 120 items, including household and environmental items.
The pet and animal at-home allergy test kit, by TestMyAllergy, analyzes up to 300 different items that are known to be in the cat and dog’s diets and daily activities.
The items measured include meats and dairy, eggs, gluten and vegetables, non-food environmental items, metals vitamins, and minerals. This test is done with the use of pets’ hair as the sample.
To take this test, follow the instructions that come with your kit to collect your pet sample and send your kit back to the lab.
Make sure to download the submission form to send with your pet’s hair sample before sending the kit to the lab for analysis.
The test results are then sent to your email, as a PDF document, within 3-to 5 working days after the company receives your pet’s sample.
- You get an easy-to-understand report of how your pets react to 300 items that are known to be found in cat and dog food ingredients and the environment.
- You get an in-depth and helpful guide on how to perform an elimination diet alongside the test results.
- Test results are sent within 3-5 working days.
- You get to carry out the test at your most comfortable time at home.
- The product is very affordable and reliable.
- You do not have to worry about the high price of delivery since the company has lab locations for testing worldwide.
The TESTMYALLERGY PET AND ANIMAL TEST KIT is available for $45.00
This at-home pet allergy test kit is highly recommended if your dogs or cats are displaying allergy symptoms of items you are now sure about. You will get a full analysis of 300 items that are known to discomfort your pets.
Prime 110 allergy test offers two products; a sensitivity test for pets kit, and a sensitivity test plus for pets kit to check the food ingredients that trigger your pets.
The sensitivity test for pets kit measures your pet’s sensitivity to 30 key trigger items in food and drinks. While the sensitivity test plus for pets kit measures your pet’s sensitivity to 300 key trigger items in food and drinks.
To take the test on your pet, follow the instructions sent to your email on how to collect the test sample. Collect up to five strands of hair from your pet’s skin with the use of tweezers, place the hair in a small plastic bag, fill out the hair submission form and mail the hair sample to the lab.
Note that shipping fees will be paid to mail hair samples to the UK. After all test processes, results are sent to your email and app within 7 days of sending the test sample.
- With this test, you get to know the exact food ingredients discomforting your pet.
- You get to carry out the test at your most comfortable time at home.
- The delivery of test samples to the UK from other countries is affordable.
- You get to track your shipping processes with the test tracker to prevent misplacement.
- Tests analysis are scientifically validated.
- You get your online result within 7days of your sample getting to the lab.
- The company has more than 450,000 positive customer reviews on its website.
- The company’s live chat is available 24/7 to solve your problems.
This allergy testing product is recommended to check the food items that trigger your pets. If your pets show symptoms such as; swollen face, itchy skin, hives, fatigue, loose stools, hair loss, and bloating, you should take this test to identify the exact ingredient causing the triggers.
5Strands offers the pet standard package which includes two tests; the food intolerance test, and the environment intolerance test to check your cat and dog’s intolerances to food and environmental items.
The company utilizes bioresonance technology that will identify up to 380 items that are known to be in your pet’s everyday life and can cause temporary imbalance or intolerance for your pets. This test is done with the pet’s hair strands as a sample.
To carry out this test on your pet, after getting the test package, register the testing kit on the website, collect 10 to 15 strands of your pet’s hair sample in the kit, and then mail the kit using the prepaid shipping label.
Samples are well analyzed and test results are sent to your mail within 7 to 10days of the lab getting your pet’s sample.
These test results contain your pet’s intolerances to items which are listed in 3 different levels based on their response upon exposure. These 3 levels of analysis help you to go through the elimination diet process for your pets adequately.
Check this video to understand everything the company has to offer you and your pet for taking the test.
- Taking the test on your pet is pain-free, it only requires the pet’s hair as a sample.
- Test results are sent within 7 to 10days of the lab receiving the sample.
- The customer support team is always available 24/7 via email and phone to give answers to your questions and follow up on your pet’s journey to healthy living.
- You get to take this test at your most comfortable time in the comfort of your home.
- The result helps you make a better dietary and lifestyle plan for your cats or dogs.
- This product is very well trusted by 126 customers who have given the product 5 stars reviews on the website.
5STRANDS FOR CATS AND DOGS PRODUCT: $148. PayPal payments are accepted.
5Strands for cats and dogs is highly recommended if your cats and dogs show intolerance symptoms, such as upset stomach, constant scratching, hair loss, hot spots, and paw biting, due to food and environmental factors.
5Strands also offers the equine deluxe package for your horse. This package includes four tests for your horse.
- The food intolerance test,
- The environmental intolerance test,
- The nutritional imbalance test, and
- The metal and mineral imbalance test.
These tests let you know how your horse responds to the dietary and lifestyle decisions you put it on. Tests are carried out using the horse’s hair sample. The company uses bioresonance technology to test 466 items that might be causing imbalance and intolerance for your horse’s health.
To use this test, after you get your package, register your testing kit, then collect your horse’s hair sample in the kit, and mail the kit using the prepaid shipping label. Results of tests are sent to your mail within 7 to 10 days of the lab getting the hair sample.
The test results contain your horse’s intolerances listed in 3 levels based on response upon exposure. These 3 levels of analysis help you to go through the elimination diet process for your horse adequately.
- The test is pain-free as it only requires the hair sample collection method.
- You get a full review of everything that might be causing discomfort for your horse through the four tests carried out on its hair.
- The customer support team is always available 24/7 via email and phone to give answers to your questions and follow up on the horse’s journey to healthy living.
- This test can be done at your most convenient time in the comfort of your home.
- The test result helps you make a better dietary and lifestyle plan for your horse.
5STRAND FOR EQUINE PRODUCT: $194.00. PayPal is accepted.
This 5Strand product is the best at-home allergy test that you can give your horse. With this test, you get the full detail of everything that might be causing your horse’s discomfort.
TestMyPets offers two kinds of test kits for your pets.
- The standard test kits to check the food sensitivities and environmental sensitivities of dogs, cats, and horses, and
- The plus test kits to check the food sensitivities, environmental sensitivities, nutritional imbalances, and metal imbalances of dogs, cats, and horses.
These tests help you understand your pet’s reaction to the everyday dietary and environmental items that they are in contact with.
To take the test, order the test on the website or download the app on Google Play or AppStore to order. Fill out the customer information form, collect up to 5 strands of hair from your pet’s skin and mail your test sample to the lab. Results of the test are then sent via email within 7working days of the lab getting the test sample.
- TestmyPets sensitivity tests help you understand your animal’s reactions to everyday items that they are in contact with.
- The easy-to-understand result comes with a well-detailed elimination and reintroduction diet guide for your pet.
- The company’s expert customer service team is available 24/7 to solve problems.
- Testing is very easy to do at home as it only requires the hair sample collection method.
- The company’s testing equipment is trusted and accredited.
PLUS CAT TEST KIT: $55.00
If your pets show signs of digestive issues or other sensitivity symptoms to ingested substances and environmental factors, TestMyPets sensitivity testing kits are recommended to discover the items causing these issues and disturbing your pet’s overall wellbeing and happiness.
Nutriscan tests for 24 purified food extracts and 122 commonly ingested food ingredients that might cause food intolerance for your cats and dogs.
The company uses saliva samples to carry out their test on your pet. To take the test on your cat or dog, follow the instructions added to your kit for saliva sample collection, then send the sample kit back to the lab for review. Test results are sent 2 to 3 weeks after taking the test via email.
Note that, your pet should not eat anything except drink water 12hours before taking their saliva sample. This will help you get a more accurate result of the foods that affect your cats and dogs.
Watch this video for a general overview of what the company offers you and your pet.
- The test is pain-free as it only requires a simple saliva sample collection method.
- The company provides you with data that helps you choose a proper diet to enhance your pet’s overall health.
- With this test, you get the exact ingredients that cause your pet discomfort.
- You can pay for the product in 4-installments with zip pay. Installment payments are interest-free.
- You get customer support to solve your problems via email and phone.
NUTRISCAN PET TEST KIT: $298.00. You can pay for the product in 4-installments with zip pay. Installment payments are interest-free.
This at-home pet allergy test kit is recommended if you want the most comprehensive breakdown of food testing for your pets. This product test result will show you the exact foods your pets have trouble tolerating or digesting.
The best at-home dog allergy testing kit measures your dog’s intolerances and sensitivities. With this kit, your dog tests for its food and environmental allergens by measuring the antibodies in the saliva against each of the 120+ items the company tests on.
Your test kit comes with an easy-to-use sample collection syringe tube to collect your dog’s saliva. Note that your dog must be above 1year old and must not be on any antihistamines, apoquel, or steroid-based medication for 2 weeks before taking the test.
Test results are sent within 2 to 3 weeks of taking the test. This result shows the 120+ common foods and environmental allergens which are recorded as; strong intolerance, mild intolerance, and no reaction.
For the items, your dog shows strong and mild intolerance for, the report shows the full detail of the substances and associated symptoms to look out for.
The result also includes extensive dietary and lifestyle guidelines on an elimination diet for the strong and mild intolerance items, and medications to use for your dog.
- You get comprehensive results on the foods, household cleaners, supplements, and environmental factors that may be causing your dog’s discomfort.
- The comprehensive result comes with easy-to-follow recommendations of the food to remove from and add to your dog’s diet.
- The product, regarded as the best at-home allergy test for pets, is very reliable and affordable.
- The test sample collection method is pain-free. It only requires the use of your dog’s saliva.
- The company offers 24/7 live chat support.
ALLERGY TEST MY PET KIT: $107.99
This best at-home allergy test kit is recommended for you if you are looking for an affordable test to check your dog’s allergies.
How Accurate are Pet Allergy Tests?
These tests can be quite accurate and you can get up to 80% accuracy with some brands especially if the sample collection process is done correctly. For example, skin allergy testing for dogs has been estimated to be upwards of 75% accurate.
Each company is expected to adhere to high standards set by regulatory bodies, including collaborating with certified labs to ensure quality and accuracy from the manufacturing to the results processing stages.
These standards help to make sure that the tests are as accurate as possible.
Don’t ignore the signs that could indicate allergy in your pets. Speak to a veterinarian and start using a suitable at-home pet allergy test kit to ensure your pet’s safety, health, and wellness.
These allergy testing kits are reliable and accurate, plus they provide convenience and affordability. There are several brands to choose from, so it is best to consult with the vet on which one is most ideal.